Spicy Parsnip & Apple Soup
As we are coming into cooler months its really important to think about eating warmer foods that are cooked and moving away from raw salads and vegetables. Our internal digestive fire naturally decreases as the temperature outside decreases so to counteract this warm moist cooked foods in general should be favoured.
I made this dish this month at my Ayurvedic Sangha and it went down a treat! So here's the recipe for you to try out at home.
3 organic parsnips
2 organic apples
6 cups filtered water
1 organic vegetable stock cube or bouillion
1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons of roasted caraway seeds or fennel seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 bay leaves
1. Peel and chop the vegetables
2. Dry roast caraway or fennel seeds in a fry pan with a pinch or two of sweet paprika.
3. Heat ghee and add curry powder, caraway seeds and pepper in a large pot. Fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chopped vegetables and stir fry for 2 minutes to coat the vegetables.
5. Add water, bay leaves and stock cube to the pot. Stir and bring to the boil.
6. Lower heat, place lid on pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
7. Remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly then place all vegetables and one third of the liquid into a blender and blend.
8. Return blended mixture back to pot and bring back to boil.
9. Serve with a swirl of coconut cream or grated Parmesan to taste.